“Summer Jacket”. Summer. Jacket. Prior to moving to then UK I would’ve assumed a summer jacket was a cocktail, a condom or a euphemism for being naked apart from sun screen but, after 13 years here, I’ve faced the reality of the English summer now own a summer jacket.
For some reason I’d convinced myself that sewing a jacket would be a whole load of hassle for little reward but this wasn’t the case at all. Obviously, these garments can be as complicated as you want them to be but this was a pretty straightforward design so now, of course, I think I’m the Queen of Making Jackets or something equally as humble.
I drafted this myself using the over-garment block instructions as set out in Aldrich’s Metric Pattern Cutting. It couldn’t have been easier. The fabric is a cotton from Goldhawk Road and, at 3 quid a metre, I wasn’t too worried about making expensive mistakes.The lining was salvaged from a top I started in January last year. I’d lost my mind and tried to make the Drape Drape Asymmetrical top in this synthetic. The static cling was just plain old foolish so I ended up throwing it to the bottom of my fabric stash but, suddenly, a revelation
– “it’s a lining fabric , you twat”.
And, it came to pass that my snakeskin print jacket was lined with blue leopard print lining. Just like in nature. A nature that has cotton snakes and blue, synthetic leopards. It was a bit of a head scratcher but, with a little creative thinking, I managed to get it fully lined.
There’s something very Sgt Peppers about it when it’s inside out. If you look closely, you’ll see where I had to add an extra panel under the armpit because I cut the armhole lining too large. No big deal, sometimes it doesn’t pay to be too precious about things. It was a solution to a problem and it’s not going to fall apart so fuck it. I added an extra piece of the shell at the shoulder to give it more shape and structure.
Despite looking like I’m about to burst into tears in the pic above, (it might have been all the marking I was working through) I really enjoy wearing this jacket. It was a joy to put together aqnd I learnt a lot. It’s become something I wear really frequently and I’m glad to have reprieve from the tyranny of cardigans.
I have to confess that last year I sewed the Victoria Blazer by By Hand London. It wasn’t quite right on me. My fabric choices were off for the design and I think I traced a size too big. However, the instructions took the fear out of lining, cuffs, lapels and bagging out so I learnt from the experience. I haven’t given up on my Victoria Blazer yet, I’m still tinkering with it and think I might add a couple of darts, maybe modify the lapels….
RocknRoll had to get involved of course. I was sure he was passed out on the sofa but any time I’m outside and especially when there’s a camera, he’ll be there.
I drafted this myself using the over garment block instructions as set out in Aldrich’s Metric Pattern Cutting.