I mentioned in an earlier post that I was keen to work through some of my fabric stash and I started with this t-shirt.
This is a really simple top to put together, I basically used this dress I made last month as a template and modified it to create the sleeves. I didn’t have a plan in mind for how the pieces would fit together, in fact, at one stage I was unsure I’d even have enough fabric. After a lot of moving pieces around, changing my mind and shooing cats out of the way it eventually worked out.
I bound the neck and armholes with self-made binding, it’s always a little time-consuming but quite easy and worth it for a better finish. Bit of an explanation on how I do it over here. I’d love to know what other people do to bind jersey as I’m sure there must be an easier way.
The neckline at the back deliberately sits a bit lower. I could probably wear it back to front but this view is a bit busy. I wanted the stripes to line up so they’d alternate but I’m not so keen on it now. A bit of it had to end up on the diagonal because it was all I had left.
When I planned to get through my fabric stash, I originally envisaged lots of colour and lots of colour-blocking but it just didn’t quite work out that way this time. There’s still a lot of fabric to get through so I’ll get round to colour-filled, colour-blocking soon (as opposed to colour blocks of grey). Still, I stuck to my rules and made sure I used remnants of previous projects. The striped fabric comes from this top and the black from the reversible dress.
Something I’ve started doing more is using Pinterest to set up mood boards for projects. It’s so much easier than book-marking and makes it easier to determine what direction I want to go in for each garment.